Sunday, March 27, 2011

Fancy Feet

After looking at some houses on Saturday morning, I went to Newtown for lunch and then decided to have a pedicure.  I've never had one before and haven't painted my nails since I was about 13, I think.  But I thought it might be a kinda fun way to kill some time and I needed a bit of a rest before driving out to see my parents, and the beautician happened to have time to fit me in.

You may already be aware that beauticians use a cheese-slicer type tool to scrape dead skin off your heals.  I didn't know that.  Unfortunately this beautician was a little over-zealous with the cheese-slicing, so today the ball of my foot is sore and festering in an angry pink kind of way today and now the thought of someone using a cheese-slicer on my foot kind of reminds me of something that might happen in a prisoner of war camp.  I can sometimes have a slightly overactive imagination.  But it does make my stomach turn.  It makes me think about the very strange lengths we go to for beauty treatments...

You may also be aware that if you get a pedicure, you need to be wearing thongs (that's flip-flops, not G-strings) to allow the nail polish to dry.  That makes sense, but when I decided on a whim to get a pedicure this had not occurred to me.  Fortunately I was wearing a particular pair of sandles which, when I push my foot REALLY forward, my toe nails can peep out the front.  So I was walking very awkwardly back to the car, so as to push my toenails out the front of the sandles.  I guessed people watching me would think that I had some bad chaffing or that I had some kind of injury that prevented me from walking properly.  I looked odd and my big toe polish got scratched anyway, but these are the lessons we learn when we do new things.

Aside from these little hiccups (if you can call prisoner-of-war treatment a little hiccup), it was quite a fun experience.  It felt a bit hollywood, as the only place I've ever really seen pedicures taking place is in the movies...

Post cheese-slice polishing

All polished.

But after all that, I felt my polished toes looked silly.  My toes are so short - they look like they've not grown since I was about 10 - so I'm not sure that I should be drawing attention to them.  Perhaps I should have chosen a more neutral, pinkey colour...  Or perhaps they feel silly just because they are unfamiliar to me.

Anyway, on another note, I love the new TV show Adam Hills in Gordon Street Tonight.  Last night Woodley was one of the guests and they were talking about "thinking positive" and Woodley said that it's sometimes hard to think positive.  Then he said "I'm definitely a glass-half-full kind of person, it's just that sometimes it's half full of pus."  Hillarious : )  So next time I'm having a bad day, I will try to remember that I'm just having a "glass-half-full-of-pus" kind of day.  If you've missed the show (for example, if you are living in Paris), you can catch it on iView at www.abc.net.au

May your week be pus-free and polished.

XXXXX Linda

2 comments:

  1. You have the same toes as me!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I'm sure yours are nicer... Mine look like they've not grown since I was about 7... : )

    ReplyDelete