Wednesday, December 8, 2010

It's a sign!

I bet you've never considered lodging a WorkCover claim for clip-board RSI.  You can probably imagine a certain sense of importance, undertaking an activity that requires one to bear a clip-board.  Cradling it on the inside of your forearm and jotting very significant things down so as to keep a written record of them.  But have you ever stopped to think of the deeper consequences of clip-board carriage?

Today I had to walk Parramatta road from Broadway to Leichhardt and back again, counting all the signs.  Big signs, little signs, flags, billboards, bus shelter signs, wall signs, window signs, free-standing signs, "awning fascias" etc etc, all tallied up on my clip-board pages in neat bundles of five strokes.  The purpose was to see how much billboards contribute to visual clutter in this city of mine.  Score: billboards - 14 - other signs - 2140.

And I was well prepared for the task, with applications of sunscreen, a broad brimmed hat, a flask of water, good walking shoes and, of course, a clip-board.  But little prepared was I for the pain of clutching the bottom of the pages on the clip-board to keep them from blowing up in the wind.  Why haven't they invented a clip board with an additional clip?  I swear, the clutching fingers of my left hand were aching before I'd even turned to walk the other side of the road.

So I had to stop for a gelato.

2 comments:

  1. I love the image of you ditching your clipboard for gelato.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love YOU swacey! Like a gelato...

    ReplyDelete